4.11 + Xorg mga/dri problem

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 17 09:38:04 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 05:16:36PM +0000, Pete French wrote:
> Just giving 4.11 a whirl. Thought I would try and get dri working
> with my mga card. It's never worked in the past, so I am not too
> worried that it doesnt work now.

What hardware are you on? The radeon driver had 64-bit issues on
amd64. Maybe Matrox has a similar problem?

> drm3: <Matrox G400/G450 (AGP)> mem 0xfb800000-0xfbffffff,0xfdef0000-0xfdef3fff,0xf2000000-0xf3ffffff irq 14 at device 12.0 on pci6
> info: [drm] AGP at 0xf0000000 32MB
> info: [drm] Initialized mga 3.1.0 20021029 on minor 3
>
> So that looks very good. It was not doing this before, so I thought
> this might enable me to get it working with Xorg (6.8.1_2 - cvsup this
> morning).

The kernel side looks good.

> But I I include the "dri" options in my xorg.conf file, I get a black
> screen which a while 'X' cursor which moves with the mouse, but noithing
> else. X cannot be killed either and so I have to resort to rebooting
> the machine!
>
> So near and yet so far... any suggestions ?

Not only do you have to enable the "dri" option, you should also have a
DRI section, like:

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

in your xorg.conf.

Do the /dev/dri/card* devices actually exist?

Have a look at  /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and see what it says about
dri/drm. Look for things like "drmOpenDevice", "[drm]" and "[dri]", and
for the string "direct rendering". If it says "direct rendering
enabled", then dri works.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail