/usr too small

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 12 08:26:44 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:22:19AM +0100, Marc Plumet wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> my system :
> kern.osreldate: 503001
> FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Nov  9 13:34:27 CET 2004
>
> I am running Freebsd on a laptop (Compaq Evo N800c).
> I have a winnt partition (8GB)
> I have a ufs partition (11GB)
<snip>
> my problem is that /usr is getting full.
,snip>
> I could scratch the winnt partition because I can do most of my work
> now with FreeBSD, I still need java/openoffice though, but therfore I
> need some free space first.
>
> Is there a way to use the free space from the "scratched-winnt" partition to
> increase the /usr size ?

You could look at disk contatation, see gconcat(8) or striping, see
gstripe(8). I'm not sure if this works for disk partitions, or if you
need a complete disk for that. But this would require a backup of /usr,
newfs-ing the concatenated device followed by restoring the backup.

Another option would be to copy a large part of /usr, say /usr/local to
the reformatted former winnt partition and mount it at /usr/local. Other
directories could be moveed to the new partition and symlinked to their
previous places.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail