AGP, AMD and FreeBSD

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sun Jan 9 20:05:08 PST 2005

I'm getting this message when starting X with the nvidia driver...

NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU and OS kernel
NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.
NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU and OS kernel
NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.

It always comes up in pairs like that. It obviously has something to do with the nvidia drivers, but it seems to have something to do with the OS too, so that's why I posted it here and not on ports. I've been seeing this for many months now and upgrading the kernel doesn't help. Xorg and XFree86 produce the same behavior. Any ideas?

I'm running a Sempron 3100+ on a DFI K8M800-MLVF mboard with a GeForce MX4 and agp is compliled into the kernel. The nvidia driver was compiled with both freebsd_agp and acpi support.

Here's uname -a:
FreeBSD dvr.bfoz.net 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #5: Sun Jan  9 15:41:54 PST 2005     bfoz at dvr.bfoz.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DVR  i386

Thanks