Instant reboots with CPUTYPE=pentium-m

Derkjan de Haan derkjan at haanjdj.demon.nl
Fri Jan 7 08:09:12 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Noack" <noackjr at alumni.rice.edu>
To: "Bartosz Fabianowski" <freebsd at chillt.de>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: Instant reboots with CPUTYPE=pentium-m

> Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
>>> I use the athlon-xp switch on 3 boxes with no problems all of them
>>> running 5.3
>>
>> What CFLAGS are you using? I have CFLAGS=-O -pipe in my make.conf. Maybe
>> you have optimization turned off and that's making a difference?
>
> I reported the problem with the athlon-xp.  My /etc/make.conf looks like
> the following (when I wish to kill the loader and experience instant
> reboots, that is ;-):
>
> CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> Note that I only see the problem when building the loader as part of a
> buildworld.  Compiling just the boot stuff in /usr/src/sys/boot/ (i.e.,
> without a bootstrapped gcc) results in a loader that works fine.  Thus, I
> think defining CPUTYPE results in a gcc that produces a bad loader.

Mentioning athlon-xp sparked my interest... One of my systems is unstable
under load when compiled with CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp, but not with i686. This
typically manifests itself as segmentation faults or ICE errors at random
places during compile jobs. The bootloader seems always fine however.

regards,

Derkjan