fsck: broken file system with background check remains broken after bootup

Craig Boston craig at feniz.gank.org
Tue Jan 4 19:50:13 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:59:01PM +1030, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
> This inspires me to ask this question:
>
> Is it possible to set up FreeBSD to do a clean shutdown upon a pressing
> the power button ? i.e. in the same fashion as Solaris does out of the
> box.  Is this an ATX feature or a kernel feature in the PC world ?

Yes, in FreeBSD 5.3 if ACPI is enabled and working properly, pressing
the power button will initiate a graceful shutdown (similar to shutdown
-p).  This feature is enabled by default if it is available, so you
don't have to do anything special to get it.

The usual "if you have weird hardware there are no guarantees"
disclaimer applies, but I've never had a problem with the software
controlled power button on any fairly recent hardware.

Craig