ports directories are broken again?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 4 15:22:26 PST 2005

On 2005.01.04 14:30:14 -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 05:22:00PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > It provides a link to where the package would be if it exists.  The
> > web frontend has no knowledge of which packages are available at any
> > given point in time because this set fluctuates on a daily basis, so
> > the frontend is always going to have windows where it's out of date
> > with respect to what's on the ftp site.
>
> I'm sorry, but clue me in here.  You are saying that the online database of
> ports has no idea what is in the ports tree?

There is a port, just not a package.  The issue is that the web pages
uses INDEX (from ports/INDEX) to know which ports exists [1], but
INDEX says nothing about packages.

It's a while since I looked at the scripts, but there is some kind of
mechanism to detect if a package exists for a port, but AFAIR that
only works when searching for -STABLE/-CURRENT and not releases.
Somebody (tm) would have to make the scripts know which packages exist
for which releases to fix this.

[1] Which btw. is going to fail for 4.11 since there is no INDEX in
CVS...

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team