mysql crashes on 5.3-stable, SMP, linuxthreads

Edwin Woudt edwin at woudt.nl
Mon Jan 3 17:48:45 PST 2005

--On 1-1-2005 20:17 -0600 Billy Newsom <smartweb at leadhill.net> wrote:

> I have just built a FreeBSD 5.3 box with SMP enabled on a dual processor
> machine.  I kept having a lot of crashes at some point in the install,
> and I believe I now have the cuprit: mysql-server-4.1.7 is doing it.
> Lately, when mysql-server is running under no load, it caused lockups of
> the system, with no core dumps.

I had a similar issue: within one hour after upgrading mysql from 4.0.20 to
4.0.22 on a 4.10 box, my machine crashed. This happened when I asked for a
webpage that querys a mysql database. It had been running stable for two
years continuously and now it unexpectedly crashed without any available
log entry or core dump.

On startup the automatig file system check failed because of some
unexpected softupdate errors. This could very well be completely unrelated
to your problem as my setup is completely different, and all signs suggest
a hardware problem. However as the only thing changed was mysql and the
thing triggering it was accessing the database, I have my suspicions.

As it is a colocated box and someone had to manually run an fsck I've
decided not to try to reproduce it, but to disable mysql (all but one
application was using postgresql anyway) and the server has been running
stable since then.

--
Edwin