USB scanner not attached when connected after system startup]

Harald Weis hawei at nerim.net
Mon Jan 3 11:21:19 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 02:22:27PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:17:37PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:

> Sometimes the device that gets noticed by usbd is not the device that
> you eventually want. For instance, I have a usb pendrive. When I plug it
> in, usbd sees a device called umass0. But what I'm interested in is the
> adXsY device that represents the partition on the drive. So in this case
> usbd isn't very helpful.

and you would see it in dmesg ?

> I've asked this before, but you never answered; If you plug in the
> scanner in a running system, do you see it in the 'dmesg' output?

No.

[Very sorry for not having replied to that question before. I have simply repressed it (verdrängt in German) because sane, scanimage and last not least usbd clearly proved - to my troubled mind - that the scanner was not attached and I was subconsciously convinced that dmesg signals only events during system startup. This is how I used it up to now. I still don't know what `core file' and `name list' or `kernel image' exactly means.]

> If you do _not_ get a message like:
>
> uscanner0: EPSON EPSON Scanner, rev 1.10/3.02, addr 2
>
> in your dmesg after you plug in the scanner, I'd say that your kernel
> doesn't recognize the scanner for some reason. This would be a bug in 4.x.

So I've got a long-standing bug (on two different boxes and several releases starting in 2001)
Very strange that I'd be the only case in this world. I couldn't find anything in the mailing list archives.

> If it does appear, the scanner is found by the kernel. If the scanner
> does not work in this case, what exactly is the reported error? If
> you've not running devfs, and the scanner wasn't available at boot time,

devfs does not exist on 4.x

> maybe the the device node was never created? Can you confirm that the
> device node for the scanner exists if you boot up without the scanner
> present?

Yes, I confirm definitely.

Harald
--
FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon Oct 27 17:51:09 GMT 2003