Strange networking problems after update 5.2.1->5.3

GerritKühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jan 3 06:58:36 PST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:19:13 +0000 (GMT) Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org>
wrote about Re: Strange networking problems after update 5.2.1->5.3:

RW> > arp things look ok, but I cannot ping the router, though I can ping
RW> > any other host (the same thing I already noticed here at work). But
RW> > my router at home complains about this:

RW> > arp: ether address is multicast for IP address 192.168.1.4!

RW> Ah, now this is very interesting -- could you send me the output of
RW> "ifconfig" on the interface?

ed0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 130.75.117.37 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 130.75.255.255
	ether 01:d4:ff:03:00:20

RW> Could you tell me if a tcpdump on another
RW> host shows the same hardware address as the source of packets from this
RW> host as ifconfig shows?

tcpdump -e shows the same address on the foreign host, so does arp -a.

RW> Likewise, dmesg?

The same, too

RW> A multicast source address
RW> might cause other systems to treat your system like it had the plague,
RW> with some OS's ignoring it, others not, etc.  So if the router refuses
RW> to talk to your system because of its ethernet address, that might
RW> explain many of the symptoms you are seeing.

Right.

Meanwhile I tried two further pcmcia cards which are 32bit (cardbus).  Both
(Xircom CBE2-100 and D-Link DFE-690-TXD) result in

cbb0: CardBus card activation failed

It seems it's rather the pcmcia bridge that's broken than the driver for
the card itself. The notebook has a TI 1225 chip.

RW> > I'm anything but a network guru and will see if I have some time to
RW> > dig further into the packets. Perhaps I can find the broken bit then.

RW> I'm guessing it's a driver problem of some sort based on the above, but
RW> a few more details as described above would be helpful in confirming
RW> that.

Just tell me what you would like to know.

RW> I've CC'd Warner Losh on the general principle that if it's a problem
RW> with a PCCARD ethernet adapter, he might be able to help (perhaps
RW> especially if it's possible to ship him one of the cards).

I will do so if it's the support for the cards that is broken. However, I
have tried 4 different cards now, and only one of them worked. So I'm
tending to put the blame on the pcmcia bridge and it's driver.

cu
  Gerrit