USB scanner not attached when connected after system startup]

Harald Weis hawei at nerim.net
Sun Jan 2 04:15:27 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 02:01:11AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:07:12PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:

Sorry, I must apologize because I realize that I did not make my point clear enough. My point is indeed the following:
If my scanner is connected (both power and USB signal cable) _before_ system startup, it does work perfectly alright since many years (by the way in scanimage-command-line-mode and as a gimp plug-in). So all concerned configuration files are perfectly alright and in conformity with the Handbook. It really works beautifully.
But as I don't use the scanner every day I normally keep it disconnected. Up to now I am obliged to reboot the system if I want to use the scanner in the middle of the day. This would not be necessary under MacOSX for example or - I hate to make the comparison :-) - under Windows. So I would be happy to find some way to use the scanner _without_ rebooting. It seems that this (USB) issue is not addressed in the Handbook.
My ``usbd -dvv'' test was just meant to check whether usbd is able to detect the events or not. I still believe the test is not completely stupid. According to usbd(8) the deamon should handle the attachment/detachment of the USB device, shouldn't it ? Apparently, usbd does not `see' whether my scanner is connected or not. What's wrong there ? Is there a fundamental fact I don't understand ?

Can anybody out there use the 1650 under 4.x without the need to connect it _before_ system startup ?
Roland,do you need to reboot under 5.3 if you connect it to the running system ?
Harald
--
FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon Oct 27 17:51:09 GMT 2003