Xorg 6.8.1

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Feb 28 02:26:05 GMT 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:36:43AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:12, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > How about adjusting the configuration then?
> >
> > 	There is utterly no xorg.conf file; the xorg probes
> > 	set the resolution to the max (1600x1200), and the
> > 	display `quivers' --for lack of a better word.  So far
> > 	my attemps with xorgcfg and xorgconfig work with
> > 	startx only.  And the display is off-center (leftward).
>
> Try (as root)
> X -configure
> cp /root/xorg.conf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
> Then edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Look up the 'Section "Screen"' part and add 'DefaultDepth 24' in it then edit
> the Modes line to have the resolution you want there.
>
> FYI X.Org should have just used your XF86-4 config file by default.

	XF86Config bombed instantly, even with startx.
	This afternoon after hours of testing one-change-at-a-time
	I found that the DefaultDepth of 8 is at least one thing that
	bombs.  24 works, but the max size with "X -pconfigure"s
	xorg.conf only 1152x863(?).  A DefaultDepth of 16 gives me
	1880x1024, which is what works best for here.

	I'm still having troubl getting the Horz and Vert sync numbers
	right.  This is probably why the GUI apps "quiver" whenever I
	try anything.  My CRT is trying to tell me something when going
	blank by printing error message about "INVALID SYNC" and so
	on. _So_ is there any tool that will auto-configure the
	horizontal/vertical ranges?  I didn't see xvidtune in the
	X11R6 bin directory, but don't think it had this capability.
	(FWIW, my tube is a Hitachi SuperScan Eltire751.)

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix