Xorg 6.8.1

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Feb 26 22:43:03 GMT 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:41:33PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Saturday, 26. February 2005 22:19, Gary Kline wrote:

> > > edit /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, find the HOLD_PKGS = [ line and change
> > > it to
> > >
> > >   HOLD_PKGS = [
> > >     'bsdpan-*',
> > >     'xorg-*',
> > >     'imake-*',
> > >   ]
> > >
> > > I've been using that for a long time now, since Xorg 6.8.1 breaks
> > > vt-switching for me.
> >
> > 	Tweaking pkgtools.conf may help me if I move back to XFree,
> > 	and it's looking like I have no choice.  xorg autoconfigs
> > 	itself to run at too high a res and nothing I do fixes it.
>
> How about adjusting the configuration then?

	There is utterly no xorg.conf file; the xorg probes
	set the resolution to the max (1600x1200), and the
	display `quivers' --for lack of a better word.  So far
	my attemps with xorgcfg and xorgconfig work with
	startx only.  And the display is off-center (leftward).

> > 	So, without highjacking this thread _too_ much, can anybody
> > 	give me the cmds to get back to XFree-4 on my 5.3 install?
>
> You really don't want to do that except you're absolutely desparate (and the
> above problem doesn't fit that category). Using XFree86 on 5.3 will make your
> system incompatible with binary packages for 5.3 and for 5-STABLE.

	If it's just binary _packages_, no problem since I build
	everything from src.  Is XFree86 going to be completely
	obsolesced?

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix