SATA RAID Support

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Fri Feb 25 23:36:40 GMT 2005

Hi.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:18:51PM -0800, David G. Lawrence wrote:
> Answer
>  	Problem:
> WD EIDE drives are dropped from an IDE RAID array or system after several
> days or weeks of error-free operation.

Of course I looked at 3ware, at WD and in google to find to find an
answer. I found both the articles you posted.

One applies to PATA drives, which we don't have. It gives no hint about
software versions for SATA drives and I did not find a firmware upgrade
at WD either.

The other one applies to SATA drives. When I found this, I checked with
smartctl in another machine (smartctl does not see single drives on the
3ware) all the RAID drives. Acoustic management was disabled on all
disks. This does not really surprise me, though. 10 krpm disks are
probably meant for servers and to deliver high performance - switching
on acoustic management by default on these drives would not be very
smart.

Thanx anyway,

		Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |