SATA RAID Support

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Feb 25 18:07:01 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:05:43PM +0100, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:33:39AM +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:31:22AM +0100, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> > > We had problems here with 3ware + 72GB Raptors (10 krpm), so we moved to
> >
> > What sort of problems ?
> > I was planning to use some sort of 3Ware/Raptor combination with amd64
> > -STABLE machines in the near future, and I am very interested by your
> > experience...
>
> Under heavy load (I/O load on the disks constantly over 200 tps, average
> at about 250 tps, peaks over 600 tps) a random drive disconnects from
> the RAID 10. After removing the drive from the config and rescanning the
> bus, the drive does not show up anymore. The only way to get the drive
> back is to unplug the drive (or switch the computer off, so that power
> is removed).  After that there is no problem to rebuild the RAID with
> the drive.

Interesting. AFAIR the same sort of errors occured with some older WD
drives and 3Ware 750x controllers.
The solution was to flash the drives firmware.

A quick googling found some reference to the problem on this document:
http://japan.3ware.com/products/pdf/Drive_compatibility_list.pdf

--
Francois Tigeot