RELENG_4 tag in stable-supfile on 5.2.1 box - change it to RELENG_5?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 23 00:48:52 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, W C wrote:

> I would like to upgrade my 5.2.1 box from source with cvsup to 5-STABLE.
>
> Do I need to change the tag to RELENG_5 for FreeBSD 5-STABLE?  Or can I
> cvsup a new stable-supfile?

At the time 5.2.1 was released, RELENG_4 was still the stable branch.
You'll need to switch to RELENG_5.  Be aware, however, that you may need
to reinstall your ports/packages -- 5.2[.1] was considered a technology
preview release for early adopters, and there was a compiler-related ABI
change that came in between 5.2 and 5.3, which affects C++ apps.  Nothing
in the base system, I think, but my recollection is that KDE and the like
needed to be reinstalled for me.

Robert N M Watson