RELEASE -> STABLE, geom_raid3 breakage

James Snow snow at teardrop.org
Thu Feb 17 22:11:46 GMT 2005

I apologize in advance for the lack of details here. This break occurred
while I was rushing between locations and I didn't have an opportunity
to properly copy down the details of the error.

I have a 5.3 system with a geom_raid3 volume that was running -RELEASE
until this morning. I updated to -STABLE and, on reboot, graid3
mentioned something about upgrading my providers from v2 to v3, and then
it kernel panicked.

On the next reboot, it listed two of the three devices in my RAID3 array
as broken, and wouldn't bring up the device:

kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3 created (id=134541552).
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3: provider ad4 detected.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3: provider ad6 detected.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3: provider ad10 detected.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Component ad4 (device raid3) broken, skipping.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Component ad6 (device raid3) broken, skipping.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3 is broken, too few valid components.
kernel: GEOM_RAID3: Device raid3 destroyed.

I did some searching for other occurrences of this and found none. At a
loss for anything else to try, I relabeled the devices that were used
in the array, and it came right back up. It fsck'd cleanly and has been
behaving all day.

Just figured I'd throw it out there and see if this has happened to
anyone else or is a known issue or something. I didn't see anything on
stable@ or in UPDATING.

-Snow