atapci VIA 82C596B UDMA66 controller: problem for 5.X ?

Mars Trading marstrade at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:37:07 PST 2005

Important:
Don't write to the drive after changing bios settings.
Just see if it works.

When I installed 5.3 on another machine w/ a Maxtor 40GB HDD, FBSD
complained about the drive geometry settings.  It seems the
defaults use CHS regardless of how the bios is set.  I had to
change geometry to what the bios would recognize as LBA, otherwise,
when set to AUTO, the drive mode would be LARGE.

All that didn't happen with the 20GB drive I'm using; it works in
CHS mode.

Dennis