Cross compiling

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Feb 15 15:30:50 PST 2005

> I was just wondering whether it is posibl to build say a 4.11 kernel
> on a 5.3 system - I'd like to have only one machine here on which I
> maintain all the sources and buidl what i need, then I think you can
> mount the /usr/obj file system and /usr/src and run the install stages
> on other systems.

Yes.  I do this all the time.  I never build in /usr/src or /usr/obj
:-).

One has to make sure that one has the right config to generate the
compile tree with.  I believe that the compilers are still compatable
enough to allow this to happen.

Building world can be done, but may require some hand steps. It has
been a while since I've done this.

> Also, can I build kernels for different architectures on a normal i386 box?

Yes.  See the recent cross compilation thread in freebsd-arch for
details.

Warner