make buildworld for RELENG_5 failing on RELENG_5_3 in /usr/src/usr.sbin/syslogd, _PATH_LOG_PRIV not defined

Tuure Laurinolli tuure at laurinolli.net
Tue Feb 15 11:54:06 PST 2005

Steve Hodgson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 January 2005 17:37, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:22:05PM +0000, Steve Hodgson wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting the following error on a RELENG_5_3 box when trying to
>>>compile the RELENG_5 sources. I've been cvsupping now for about a week
>>>and continuing to get the same error when we get to syslogd.

I get the same error updating RELENG_5_3 to RELENG_5. It's strange
because the constant most certainly is defined in
/usr/src/sys/sys/syslog.h. However, when I straced the make, it seemed
that this file was never used. Instead it used syslog.h from my already
installed system!

This seems like a grave error in some makefile to me, will look further
into it later today.

> anyone has any other ideas I guess I'll continue reattempting this. Are there
> any objections to doing a make installworld/installkernel on the results
> after applying my patches - will that bork my system, could it help in
> anyway?

Looking at the CVS notes and the code itself, I don't think it should
cause any problems - though this probably is a late notice anyway :)