bonding interfaces on 5.3-stable SMP.

John strgout at unixjunkie.com
Tue Feb 15 11:12:23 PST 2005

I'm having some problem with interface bonding on 5.3 stable.
I used this before on 4.x without problems. I can't run 5.3-R
becuase my SysKonnect nics panic the box when i load the drivers. (5.3-Stable
fixed this).

First off this is how i'm bonding nics.

    kldload ng_ether
    # create ngeth0 and bond sf2 and sf3 to it
    ngctl mkpeer . eiface hook ether
    ngctl mkpeer ngeth0: one2many lower one
    ngctl connect sk0: ngeth0:lower lower many0
    ngctl connect sk1: ngeth0:lower lower many1
    ngctl connect sk2: ngeth0:lower lower many2
    ngctl msg sk0: setpromisc 1
    ngctl msg sk1: setpromisc 1
    ngctl msg sk2: setpromisc 1
    ngctl msg ngeth0: setautosrc 0
    ngctl msg sk0: setautosrc 0
    ngctl msg sk1: setautosrc 0
    ngctl msg sk2: setautosrc 0
    # bring up ngeth0 for sniffing duties
    ifconfig ngeth0 -arp up

This works fine for a little while on a SMP kernel, then for what ever reason
it stops working (could be mins or hours). Working meaning the ngeth0 nic stops
seeing traffic. If I down and then up the ngeth0 nic it will start seeing
traffic again. I'm not completely sure but i think it may be related to the SMP
kernel. I've tried to duplicate this with GENERIC but i'm still testing. The
main app this box is running is NTOP ver 3.1 (from ports). I'm also using the
local pcap (not the one from ports).

This also bring up a new question. Is this the correct way to do the interface
bonding (for sniffing only)? I noticed ng_hub but i couldn't figure out
how to make it work with ngeth0. If someone could give me a hand with that
that would be great! :)

Thanks!

oh btw this is 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #1: Fri Feb 11 10:27:16 CST 2005