Save the Demon!

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Feb 14 06:30:41 PST 2005

mark at markdnet.demon.co.uk wrote:
 > olli at lurza.secnetix.de wrote:
 > > AFAIK, one of the main points of that logo competition is
 > > to do away with anything that could be interpreted in an
 > > religious way.  Therefore an image of an Angel would be
 > > completely inappropriate.  (Why feminine anyway?  Beastie
 > > has no specific gender, therefore it would be best to not
 > > bias the logo one way or the other.)
 >
 > I'm not seeing a problem here. Beastie is not a religious icon,
 > not is it intended to be one.

Right -- but it looks like one.  And every now and then
there are people who are offended by it because of their
religious bias.

 > FreeBSD has no connection (afaik) with any religion.

Right.

 > What we do have is a well recognised and accepted logo which
 > has been around for a long time.  Changing it because a couple
 > of people have misinterpreted it strikes me as foot shooting.

Nobody is proposing to change the existing mascot, so there
is no foot shooting.

This competition is about creating a new logo, not changing
the existing mascot.  Putting yet another religous creature
(such as an angel) into the newly designed logo would make
matters worse -- _That_ would qualify as foot shooting.

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden