recompile, harddrive(partition) error

dima _pppp at mail.ru
Mon Feb 14 03:50:10 PST 2005

>> 1. if you edited GENERIC, not the copy of it, you
>> can download a copy from cvsweb.freebsd.org or cvs
>> it.
>> 2. default /etc/make.conf should be empty.
>> 3. you can get the security/errata patched sources
>> of 5.3-RELEASE (actually called 5.3-RELEASE-p5) by
>> changing the tag in your cvsup file to RELENG_5_3
>>
>> The thing you could do wrong is probably removing
>> too many lines from your kernel config file; read
>> the comments in it carefully.
>>

> Ohhh... still not working. :(
> I've removed /etc/make.conf, I've done
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> on the unmodified GENERIC file.
>
> So? Anyone? Any idea?
It seems you did everything right this time.
Sorry, I didnt use FreeBSD with other systems on the same HD for years. There is a problem with DOS-extended partitioning performed by some utilities. You can try
1) add "options GEOM_MBR" to your config file, which should enable some hacks
2) or update your sources to RELENG_5 after Feb 3, 2005
See discussion about that http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2005-January/000474.html. The patch was commited to the stable tree just about 2 weeks ago.