(g)vinum with 5.3

Henning Kropp wir02jcr at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Feb 9 01:39:26 PST 2005

(Re: gvinum - recovering from stale in multi user mode)

For some the change to gvinum with 5.3 seems to be an easy job for
others it's not.
Take me for example an the guy who posted under the subject "gvinum -
recovering from stale in multi user mode" before. Maybe one of you could
lead us to some articles, that describe the changes in a little detail.

My problem is the following:
As I upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3 I have the following setup:
vinum conf:
drive a device /dev/ad0s1e
drive b device /dev/ad1s1d
drive c device /dev/ad2s1d
volume myvolume
sd length 213253346K drive a
sd length 324525235K drive b
sd length 432123523K drive c

rc.conf:
start_vinum="YES"

fstab:
/dev/vinum/myvolume    /usr

This setup works just fine with 5.2.1. I know the need to change the
following to use gvinum with 5.3 :

instead of rc.conf (start_vinum="YES")
/boot/loader.conf
geom_vinum_load="YES"
and change the fstab accordingly:
/dev/gvinum/myvolume

The result I at boot time is a screen continuously printing out:
GEOM_VINUM: plex request failed for gvinum/plex/myvolume.p

Does anybody know where to start from here?

Many thanks in advance