5.x concerns

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Mon Feb 7 16:07:50 PST 2005

On February 7, 2005 03:40 pm, Tórgan Flores de Siqueira wrote:
> Just adding a note: I regularly use FreeBSD on a Toshiba notebook,
> and switched from 4.x to 5.x to benefit from cardbus support.
> Well, I started with 5.2.1 and all things did well. Since then, I'm
> trying to track 5-STABLE with no success. Starting with 5.3-RELEASE,
> the ACPI stopped to work, as well as did the rl driver.
> So, I switched back to 5.2.1.

What model Toshiba laptop are you using?

I'm curious as I have a Toshiba Satellite A60 that works quite nicely
with FreeBSD 5.2.1, 5.3, and 6-CURRENT (with the exception of the
WinModem and soundcard not working, and the ATA controllers only being
recognised as UDMA33).  The NIC works, the wireless NIC works, the CPU
throttling works, the video card works perfectly in 2D and provides
software 3D support (there's no AGP module for the ATI Radeon 7000 IGP
chipset).  Even the USB 2.0 ports work.

5.2-CURRENT had working sleep/resume support, but then it disappeared
one day, and I was never able to track down if it was a BIOS update,
ACPI update, or driver update that killed it.  Not that it bothers me,
I prefer to power it off completely anyway.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca