libjava.so not found

Paul Horechuk horechuk at csolve.net
Wed Feb 2 05:33:09 PST 2005

   Brian Clapper wrote:

On 1 February, 2005, at 18:49 (-0500)
Paul Horechuk [1]<horechuk at csolve.net> wrote:

During make of openoffice-1.1
make -DWITHOUT_MOZILLA

<snip>

=============
Building project sandbox
=============
/usr2/ports/editors/openoffice-1.1/work/sandbox/com/sun/star/lib/sandbox
mkout -- version: 1.3
Making dpj...

------------------------------
Making: ../../../../../unxfbsd.pro/misc/lib_sandbox.dpc
dmake subdmake=true  -f makefile.mk product="full" depend=t ALLDPC
------------------------------
No Dependencies
javac -classpath
".:../../../../../unxfbsd.pro/class:/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar:."
-d ../../../../../unxfbsd.pro/class  AudioProxy.java
Cachable.java   ClassContext.java
ClassContextImpl.java                           ClassContextProxy.java
CodeSource.java                                 Disposable.java
ExecutionContext.java
Holder.javaImageProducerProxy.java                 JarEntry.java
JarInputStream.java                         Permission.java
PermissionCollection.java                   ProtectionDomain.java
Resource.java   ResourceImpl.java
ResourceProxy.java                              ResourceViewer.java
SandboxMessageHandler.java                  SandboxThreadGroup.java
SandboxSecurity.java                        SandboxSecurityException.java
WeakRef.java                                     WeakTable.java
WeakEntry.java                                           XImage.java
Error: could not find libjava.so
Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.

[ ... ]

Paul,

My guess is that it's happening when the OpenOffice build is attempting to
invoke the Java compiler.

I suggest posting this to the freebsd-java mailing list. It's an open issue
with the 1.5.0 JDK, which is what you appear to be invoking. Basically, if
you've installed the 1.5 JDK port, you can't invoke java without using its
full path. That is,

        $ /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java

works fine. But

        $ java

fails, producing exactly the errors you saw:

        $ java
        Error: could not find libjava.so
        Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.

   In my case, $ java -version does work, and it properly reports the
   version info. I did try to back out the 1.5.0 version and install
   1.4.2, but ran into too many problems with the bootstrapping issue. It
   couldn't find a previous version of the required SDK. I do have the
   linux-java SDK installed. I was just hoping a symlink where oo was
   looking would be sufficient.

Someone reported this error on the freebsd-java list, and I noted that I
can reproduce it here, as well. No one has responded, so I imagine it
doesn't affect everyone. But one more voice doesn't hurt.

Note that this problem, whatever it is (and I haven't had time to dig) does
NOT affect the 1.4.2 JDK. A workaround for your immediate problem might be
to install the 1.4.2 JDK port.

-Brian

Brian Clapper, [2]http://www.clapper.org/bmc/
"A witty saying proves nothing."
        -- Voltaire

   Thanks for the help. I'll repost in freebsd-java.