5.3 -> 5 : sshd multiple log entries & login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

Andrew Konstantinov andrei at kableu.com
Tue Feb 1 23:08:23 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 05:20:56PM -0800, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:49:09PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> > Be aware that it was a weekend in the US yesterday so the people likely to
> > answer your question were probably out having fun, which is why you didn't
> > get an answer in 24 hours. Paitience, grasshopper. :)
> >
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
> >
> > > As the topic says, I've experienced some unusual sshd behavior after I moved
> > > some of my systems from RELENG_5_3 to RELENG_5 recently. The unusuality of the
> > > behavior is illustrated by the following exerpt from the /var/log/auth.log on
> > > the RELENG_5 system:
> > >
> > > Jan 29 14:53:38 mail sshd[699]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
> >
> > I can't reproduce this on my systems, many of which started at 5.3 and now
> > build 5-stable.  Are you using the system ssh or one you built from ports?
> >
> > What is the output of 'ls -l /etc/login.conf*'?

I knew I wasn't hallucinating. When I rebuild and reinstall src/lib/libc from
RELENG_5_3 sources on RELENG_5 system, all of the above problems disappear
altogether. The bugs are in the dynamically linked library that sshd relies on.
Once the new library is in place and "/etc/rc.d/sshd restart" is performed, the
bugs disappear. I don't have time to dig into that right now, but I'll be back
with patches.

Andrew

P.S. And nobody believed me, you people! :)