6.0-STABLE can't see floppy drive for KLD loading

Atanas atanas at asd.aplus.net
Fri Dec 30 12:50:53 PST 2005

Kim Culhan said the following on 12/29/05 14:10:
> Trying to install 6.0-STABLE on a Supermicro 5014C-MT server with
> a P8SCT motherboard.
>
> Also installed is a 3Ware 9550SX sata raid controller.
>
> The latest 6.0-STABLE snap from 12-08-05 does not have the version
> of the TWA driver which supports the 9550SX so it would be necessary to
> kldload the binary, available from the 3Ware web site.
>
> Running sysinstall and navigating to Configure-->Load KLD
> the installation fails as it complains: Cant find the floopy
>
> The hardware appears to be good as it is possible to boot a dos floppy.
>
> Have not been successful finding a more recent snap.. the changes for the
> 9550SX controller were about a day late to be included in the 12-08 snap :(
>
> Any info in greatly appreciated

You could do the following:
- attach a standalone drive (IDE,SATA,SCSI)
- install FreeBSD and upgrade it to *-STABLE
- partition a 3ware drive (array, whatever) and make it bootable
- transfer the OS installation from the standalone drive to the 3ware
partition.

Or you could create a bootable USB (hard, flash, iPod, digital camera,
etc.) drive up to date with -STABLE (see /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd),
boot the 3ware box from it, and install over the network.

I haven't tried the latter myself, but already used a nanobsd based USB
flash drive as emergency recovery media on a 9550SX based box, and it
worked.

Regards,
Atanas