ports security branch

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Tue Dec 20 02:18:31 PST 2005

Yann Golanski wrote:
> Quoth rihad on Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:25:59 +0400
>
>>Is there a security branch for the FreeBSD ports collection? Let's say,
>>I installed FreeBSD 6.0 together with all needed -RELEASE ports/packages
>>(i.e., those on the CD). Running security/portaudit after a while
>>reveals that some of the installed packages have vulnerabilities. Am I
>>on my own to go grab the fresh ports tree, and upgrade the affected
>>software, suffering all the intricacies of the move by myself? Debian
>>GNU/Linux has its security package updates, OpenBSD has a separately
>>maintained "errata" ports branch (it's very likely you still get to
>>download a newer release of the software, though).
>

> Attached is a script I use to update my machines.  It works fine but
> you need to understand what it does and not run it blindly.  DO NOT put
> that in cron, there lies pain!
>
> Otherwise, just run the script and it will update all your ports for
> you.  It'll even mail you with the updated ports.

[script snipped]

A very interesting script for its own purpose, but I'm afraid this
doesn't answer my question at all. Perhaps seeing the way that e.g.
Debian deals with the upgrade problem might shed some light on the
issue. Hell, FreeBSD does exactly that for the base world+kernel, too!
Not for the ports, though.