Release Schedule for 2006

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Mon Dec 19 08:31:59 PST 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:44:06PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> regression in this area in RELENG_6, it would be worth reporting to this
> list, hopefully with enough detail that a developer could help you
> troubleshoot the problem.

This problem already existed in 5.x, please have a look at kern/73744.

> Two things, first I seem to recall someone saying that the ral hardware is
> not all that hot to begin with, and you'd be better off with another wifi

No, I don't use a ral card, in my case it's a Thinkpad with an iwi card.

> card. If that's not possible, have you tried upgrading to the latest
> 6-stable? If it's still not working after that, please report it to the

Yes, I was always following RELENG_6 until 2 weeks ago when I finally
installed Ubuntu on the Thinkpad, partly because of the wlan-problem,
partly because FreeBSD does not boot with a second battery installed
instead of the CD-/DVD-drive...

> list. Also, it's worth noting that if you're trying WPA on 5-stable, you're
> not likely to succeed. The infrastructure was greatly improved for
> 6-release.

Yes, I know.

> the state that it is in right now (good or bad) because the community of
> its users helped make it that way. The only way it gets better is if people
> help make it better. Relying on "them" to do it for you is not the FreeBSD
> way.

Yes, I know, although there were other statements recently ("fix it or
pay someone to fix it for you").

tnx,
Uwe