[SOLVED] Re: NFS UDP mounts on RELENG_6?

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 19 01:37:46 PST 2005

No shame.  This is a common problem, and if you think real hard you should
start getting quasy about UDP NFS under high load.  The problem arises
because if part of a UDP packet is lost the entire packet is lost, and as
UDP NFS uses fixed packet sizes... this means the system never recovers if
frames stop droping perpetually.  Its easy to see how this happens for
speed mismatches, the switch (vs a router) provides no buffering and
therefore frames from the fast source are dropped.

Now imagine that you have many clients all writing data to the NFS server
at once... Suddently that pipe into the server is like a narrow straw.
Ooops.

I haven't see any evidence that suggests using NFS with UDP is actually
useful.  IMO, its a false economy.  TCP processing takes on the order of
1uS of CPU time--which is on the order of the frame latency through a
single switch!  That is to say, nothing, but the behavior of TCP NFS under
load (when it counts) is superior.

TCP SACK and interrupt aggregation are better ways of squeezing extra
performance out of your hardware than simply using UDP...

Just my two cents.

-Jon