Release Schedule for 2006

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Sun Dec 18 06:03:03 PST 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> It looks like in the course of writing your long email you forgot to
> describe any of the problems you are having.

I don't know his exact problems either, but I could name you a few
examples that currently reduce the fun of using FreeBSD:

- The sound sytem is broken in FreeBSD in all 5.x and 6 versions, and I
  would like to listen to a few mp3-files from time to time.

- To my surprise it's almost impossible to use the parallel port with
  interrupts ("interrupt storms"), polling mode works...

- wlan is broken, my Thinkpad keeps losing WPA-PSK connection very often
  (probably kern/88793).

- Keeping the system and the ports up to date gets more and more time
  consuming and risky (especially when compared to an "apt-get update &&
  apt-get upgrade"). For example, the last devel/pear update in the
  ports crashed my PHP installations on 2 development machines (still no
  clue how to fix this).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to complain, I just wanted to
give you some examples.

Uwe