Release Schedule for 2006

Bill Nicholls billn at ywave.com
Sat Dec 17 10:22:27 PST 2005

Let me add my voice to this discussion. I have been a happy user of
FreeBSD from 4.0 thru 4.11, but have stumbled repeatedly on 5.x and now 6.0.

For some reason, I can get these (5 & 6) installed, but not stable or
running KDE, yet 4.11 runs solid for months. In addition, not being able
to run KDE from Generic has been an additional headache.

This has become such a problem that I finally loaded Suse Linux 10 on my
alternate disk so I can move ahead. I use dual 9G disks and alternate
installs, stairstepping from one release to the next, with the ability
to boot back to an older release. This has worked well until now.

This is particularly bad timing because FreeBSD is my *preferred* OS for
  significant parts of my work, and it was planned to host an important
DB project on another machine bought for that purpose.

I was hoping that 6.0 would enable me to move ahead on my FreeBSD
workstation, and then on my DB project. Instead I am stalled and forced
to go to a less preferred solution.

I don't know what, if anything, I am doing wrong. I gave away an
expensive SOYO MB because FreeBSD would not install, later found out
that the advanced SOYO ACPI was the problem, apparently solved later.

Color me frustrated. For me the issue is very simple - I need to install
release X.Y, install KDE, configure X and get to work. Becoming an
internals expert or even small time developer is not what I need to do
even though I have done that kind of work in the past. Now I concentrate
on getting applications into production, with OS maintenence limited to
chasing glitches.

Color me very frustrated. I've been used to great stability on FreeBSD,
less frequent changes than Linux, and fewer problems. The system just
*worked*. No longer.

I don't blame anybody on the team for this issue because from my POV,
the attention on getting better SMP and generally upgrading the kernel
quality was and is a good objective. However, along the way, a few less
obvious characteristics have lost out.

When it gets to the point that I am forced to use something else despite
my efforts, then attention needs to be spent making FreeBSD work 'Out of
the Box' again. Simple is good - you can always get complicated if that
is your preference, but for a lot of us, FreeBSD is a tool, not a career.

Again, this is not a flame but a plea to make the system simply work.

BillN
http://www.billswrite.com