HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

Marwan Burelle burelle at lri.fr
Fri Dec 16 13:38:54 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 06:31:17AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I have to add my vote for 6, as did someone else in an earlier post.
> Like some others, I always found 5.x a bit slower than 4.x  (No
> benchmarks, completely subjective.)  From the very beginning, I've found
> 6.x to be stable and quickly moved some non-critical servers to it.

I will add my <aol>me too</aol> here.

I move my home computer to 6.0 when I get back a connexion at home. My
office computer used to seem far faster than my home one (quite normal
for a 3.2 GHz PIV against an Athlon 1800+, with twice memory) but
after some weeks of 6.0 on my Athlon and _many_ ports building (mostly
because of the damned f*** last OCaml release) the relative difference
seems far less impressive.

This also quite subjective, but my feeling is that speed impressions
is as important as real speed improvements, at least for
workstation. Just note that my actual usage is only LaTeX (PhD writing
... ) and ports building.

This was my 2 cents.

--
Marwan Burelle,