HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Dec 15 23:04:08 PST 2005

All,

The following is the approximate schedule for FreeBSD releases in 2006:

Jan 30: Freeze RELENG_5 and RELENG_6
Mar 20: Release FreeBSD 6.1
Apr  3: Release FreeBSD 5.5
Jun 12: Freeze RELENG_6
Jul 31: Release FreeBSD 6.2
Oct 23: Freeze RELENG_6
Dec 11: Release FreeBSD 6.3

A 'freeze' means that the tree will be closed to changes except with
specific approval, and the focus will be on producing, testing, and
fixing release candidates.  The release dates are targets that we hope
to make, but we will continue with the policy of only releasing once
all of the showstoppers are cleared, i.e. we will release when it is
ready.

FreeBSD 5
5.5 will be the final release from the RELENG_5 tree.  We are doing it
to provide support for users who have committed to FreeBSD 5 and who
need more time to transition to FreeBSD 6.  However, in order to keep
forward progress with FreeBSD 6, we will produce this in parallel with
the 6.1 release, and thus it will not be our main focus.  Users who are
using FreeBSD 5 are strongly encouraged to evaluate FreeBSD 6.  After
this final release, the security team will provide security update
support through 2007.

FreeBSD 6
There will be three FreeBSD 6 releases in 2006.  It will be our primary
focus for bugfixes, performance enhancements, and incremental
functionality and driver additions.  There will likely be one more
release in 2007, after which we will begin focus on FreeBSD 7.

FreeBSD 7
We will start preparing for FreeBSD 7.0 in June 2007.

I'll hopefully update the release engineering pages soon to reflect
this.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and the
rest of the release engineering team.  Thanks!ott

Scott