kernel cpu entries

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Thu Dec 15 12:05:40 PST 2005

> I can't see anything in the kernel source code to explain it.  Since
> you don't mention actual times, is the difference statistically
> significant?  (see src/tools/tools/ministat)

Ministat says: Difference at 95.0% confidence

The second set are always smaller than the first set no matter how many
times I run it, so it is repeatable. I only wrote down a few of the raw
results, but here are a set of three outputs from time (real, user, system)
for i686 alone and i586+i686.

	i686:
		496.26	857.54	43.05
		501.00	858.03	42.40
		517.04	857.90	42.91

	i586+i686:
		483.70	852.70	51.77
		484.93	853.54	50.60
		489.26	855.23	46.82

It is a shame I didnt do any without the -j2 on. I suspect that it would show
a slowdown, as the user+system times are always lower on the i686 on its
own. But when running in parallel you actually get a speedup in elapsed
time, even though you are seeing a slowdown on each processor individually.

So does adding in i586 somehow increase the potential for parallelism
somehow ? Thats the only thing I can think of....

-pete.