mountd fails intermittently

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Dec 14 23:25:14 PST 2005

Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> writes:

> That looks like your rpcbind(8) process died.  Can you
> check that with ps?  Also, are there any warnings or
> errors reported in /var/log/messages?

No, it's still running.  It shows up in rpcinfo (as does nfsd), and
rpcbind itself also replies to pings.  In fact, I can usually
temporarily fix the problem by killing and restarting mountd. (Not
long enough to bring up my clients, though.)  (kill -HUP doesn't help,
btw.)  Moreover, the one client I have that's managed to mount, works.

Looking on the 'net, I can see quite a few other people had very
similar problems, but nobody's ever posted a reliable fix.  (Or
anything other than "kill and restart.")  Notably:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/nfs.php

--
Cheers =8-} Mike