free space reported incorrectly

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Dec 14 14:01:21 PST 2005

In the last episode (Dec 14), Colin Farley said:
> Thanks for the reply.  I have found as suspected that apache is
> responsible.  Since these servers are redundant using UCARP I am
> planning to shut down the services, unmount /var and run fsck, one at
> a time.  I'm just not sure why I cannot see these files but hopefully
> fsck will make them visable or just remove them for me.  I think at
> the same time I will make a change to my apache log rotation strategy
> as it appears to be causing the problems.

You can't see the files because they have been deleted.  As long as a
process holds a filehandle open on the file, however, the file still
exists and consumes space in the filessytem.  Killing the apache
processes (or sending this the appropriate "reopen your logfiles"
signal) will suffice to free the space up.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com