free space reported incorrectly

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Dec 14 08:35:08 PST 2005

In the last episode (Dec 14), Colin Farley said:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p16 on a couple of production mail
> relays/web servers.  Today I noticed that one had a lot more space in
> /var used.  I figured that a log was growing and started to
> investigate.  After running du -h /var and seeing it come up with a
> total usage much less than what df -h reports I decided to run fsck
> /var.  This is the output I get:
>
> ** /dev/da1s1f (NO WRITE)

Don't trust any fsck output on a mounted filessytem.

You probably have some logfiles that got manually rotated or deleted
(i.e. not via newsyslog), and syslogd was never told to close&reopen
the logfile.  Run "lsof +L1" (lsof is in ports) to find the offending
processes and restart them.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com