devfs doesn't set access rights

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 13 16:07:41 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:31:52AM +0100, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> I agree that a more flexible approach is generally better, but since
> it's not necessary I don't want to create an extra entry in my
> /etc/usbd.conf (one more file to worry about during mergemaster).

IIRC, usbd is/will be deprecated in favor of devd.

> Thus I think the best solution would be to dump devfs.conf and
> /etc/rc.d/devfs entirely (or leave it optional for backwards
> compatibility) and give devfs the ability to create links.

Yeah, I agree that would be best. I'd be willing to look into that, but
not before mid-januari.

> I have a dislike for inconsistent solutions and I think most people here
> share this dislike. It's just what happens when software grows. Sooner
> or later you get to the point where you should throw away 80% of what's
> there and turn the rest into something that does what needs to be done.

Well, an adequate solution now always beats a perfect solution later. :-)

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt