devfs doesn't set access rights

Marwan Burelle burelle at lri.fr
Tue Dec 13 14:08:31 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:23:26PM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:
> > There maybe a better way, but "it works"© ;)
> You should be using /etc/devfs.rules
>
> Search the mailing list for examples and setup.

Yes, I know, some month ago I wrote a little documentation (in french
[1]) for using USB keys on a FreeBSD worstation. Someone point me out
to devfs.rules, but at that time I couldn't find any clear
documentation, nor any clear way of doing some more complex things.

My goal was to simulate Linux+Gnome behaviour when USB key are
plugged, that is, transparently mount it with the user id so that
Gnome desktop shows it with an appropriate icon[2]. Using devfs.conf
was a simple way of fixing permissions but in the context not the only
one.

I used devd.conf, since I want some other task to do, mainly a script
that find if a user is logged with X, and mount the right device with
its id, this involve also testing if the device use da0 or da0s1 and
also manage the possibility of plugin more than one umass devices at
the same time.

In that context using devfs.conf or devfs.rules doesn't realy change
(as a user point of view, in particular when you don't realy know the
difference.) I know now that I was wrong, but as the current
discussion shows, there is (was ? ;) a lack of good documentation on
the subject.

[1] : http://www.lri.fr/~burelle/BSD/USBKey-FreeBSD.html
[2] : My starting was point here :
      http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041130A/