devfs doesn't set access rights

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 13 12:41:44 PST 2005

I hacked together the current mess over two and a half years ago for one
simple reason, so that the functionality that used to be in the system prior
to rcNG would still be there. Since then, we've had roughly 18 rounds of
this same discussion, but no one has actually stepped up to do the work of
converting /etc/rc.d/devfs to use rules. (Oh, and as someone else already
pointed out, whatever you replace it with has to be able to add symlinks as
well.)

If someone wants to do that, great! If not, whining about it isn't really
all that useful of an exercise. Everyone already knows it needs to be
updated. Same goes for the documentation btw. Patches are welcome,
complaining that "it should be better" is not.

Doug