devfs doesn't set access rights

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 13 10:13:03 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:37:13AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
<snip>>
> You are being entirely too kind. The documentation for the practical use
> of devfs at all sucks! Nothing I could find in the handbook,
> either. It's a classic case of documentation written by programmers in
> that the author can't look at his software from the standpoint of
> someone who does not know anything about it. Good documentation really
> needs to be written by someone sitting "on the outside" of the
> development process. But this is a huge problem for commercial
> applications where they actually hire writers, let alone for a volunteer
> project.

The manual pages for devfs.conf and devfs.rules were definitely written "on the
outside". :-)

> I thought that the devfs.rules page was pretty helpful, but neither the
> devfs(8) nor the devfs(5) man pages mention either devfs.conf or
> devfs.rules in "SEE ALSO" (although devfs.rules is mentioned in
> "FILES"). No indication of how to use it or that there is actually a man
> page for it. No mention of devfs.conf at all. devfs(5) provides no clue
> at all that devfs does this sort of thing, either.

Listing devfs.(conf|rules) in the SEE ALSO sections of devfs(5|8) sounds
like a good idea.

> Guess I'll try putting something together. Other than putting it in a
> PR, should I do anything else with it?

Putting in a PR, preferredly with a patch for the relevant manual pages,
would be fine, I think.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.