devfs doesn't set access rights

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Dec 13 09:38:33 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 06:19:47PM +0100, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> It's a simple and working solution and I think it simply should be made
> default for ALL attach events. To me it makes more sense than having 2
> different systems for the same thing.
>
> Anyway, now I'm going to set up a devfs.rules (and learn a new different
> syntax for doing exactly the same thing). This looks like something that
> could have been in the unix haters handbook.

The devfs.conf method is inappropriate for runtime because if you don't
do this in the kernel (as devfs(8) does) there is a race where the
device initially has the wrong permissions.  IMO, devfs.conf should
either be taken out and shot or a parser to turn it into devfs(8) rules
should be written.  The current situation is utterly lame.

-- Brooks