6.0 random freezes

Atanas atanas at asd.aplus.net
Mon Dec 12 15:36:06 PST 2005

Ronald Klop said the following on 12/12/05 13:27:

> What happens if you set one of these sysctl values to 0? (This disables
> SMP changes from 5.4 to 6.0.)
> debug.mpsafevfs: 1
> debug.mpsafenet: 1
> debug.mpsafevm: 1

Thanks for the suggestion!
I just did so and rebooted both machines, so we'll see.

I remember unseting debug.mpsafenet before 5.4 due to some ipfw
limitations, but didn't know about the other two.

> And is there a possibility (performance-wise) to build a kernel with
> WITNESS and/or INVARIANTS options compiled in. This will give more info
> about possible locking problems. Your system will run slower. And
> because  of this the problem may not occur anymore, but it is worth the
> try.

Both machines are not much loaded, so I could afford slowing them down a
bit for a while (I hope it won't be several times slower). I will do
that at some point later if the problem still persists.

I hope I won't be forced to downgrade to 5.4, though I'm already working
on that (just in case).

Regards,
Atanas