Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:34:59 PST 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 13:01,  the author Doug Barton contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic:

>Vizion wrote:
>> Well I do not want to not thank those who have made the upgrades viable.
>> The value of their work should not be underrated.
>
>That's a step in the right direction, thanks. :)
>
>> There is however a perennial problem that freebsd documentation has always
>> been seen as behind and seperate from the development process rather than
>> an integral part of that process.
>
>You're right, however that is just "the way it is."

Well having run many very large scale projects myself I  find it difficult to
accept either implication of this perspective. The first implication is that
we should be complacent about it and not seek to find a method to improve the
process. The second implication is that top notch developers do not care
about end user comfort. My experience is that most do care but they needa
helpful environment to achieve food documentation.

>Most of our really top
>notch developers are actually very bad at documenting their work (I don't
>mean bad at being timely with it, I mean that they are bad at DOING it), and
>frankly their time is better spent elsewhere.

That is a judgment call - franky my experience has been that developers who
are bad at ensuring their work is well documentated are second rate rather
than top rate developers.

What I have found works in development is to create team relationships that
cover design, development and documentation. Unfortunately this does go
against the somewhat individualistic elitist relationship that is
unnecessarily sustained by the implications I referred to earlier (neither of
which I buy and both of which seem to me to be condescending nonsense).

My view would be that the freebsd project might do well to consider
implementing a "no release without quality documentation assurance" policy.
Such a policy forces design and development to integrate their work with
whoever has been identified as responsible for user documentation (whether
that is the designer, developer or a seprate documentation person or team.
This encourage the preparation of user documentation as part of the project
rather then an afterthought (that depends upon members of the "hoi poloi".

>The documentation is light
>years ahead of where it was 11 years ago when I started using FreeBSD for
>one simple reason. Interested users stepped up and helped make it better.
>That's the only way that things improve in an open source project.

OK so some of that talent needs to be harnessed and integrated into the
development process. In this day and age we need to believe that user
documentation provides a paradigm for design and development not design and
development a paradigm for documentation. The latter view characterized
development in the early 70,s and 80's. I thought we had moved beyond that.

>FWIW, I added a paragraph to the UPDATING file in both HEAD and RELENG_6
>that describes why updating to the latest code in the installed branch is a
>good idea before trying a major version upgrade. Hopefully that will help
>the next person who stumbles over this same issue.

Thank you so much for what you do. I trust that you will understand that
recomendations for improvement are made BECAUSE the quality of design and
development is so good. It deserves better and more professional attention to
the role of end user documentation.

my two pennorth

>Doug

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.