Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic

secmgr security at jim-liesl.org
Tue Dec 6 16:26:27 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:36:05PM -0700, secmgr wrote:
>

>>>Update to 5.4 before trying to update to 6.0.
>>>
>>>Kris
>>>

>>So is there any supported direct 5.3->6.0 upgrade path, or is a stop in
>>5.4 ville manditory now.?
>>

>I tried to say that you have to update to 5.4 before you can update to
>6.0, i.e. updates from older versions are not supported.  It may be
>easier to do a binary upgrade (i.e. download release media and use the
>upgrade option).
>
>Kris

Not to belabour this, but the 6.0 release notes do specificly say 5.3
RELEASE and newer.

"Source upgrades to FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE are only supported from FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE or later. Users of older systems wanting to upgrade
6.0-RELEASE will need to update to FreeBSD 5.3 or newer first, then to
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE."

This is one of my pet peeves with FreeBSD.  You can read the Release
Notes, the UPDATING, the ERRATA, the HARDWARE, thinking you've prepped
yourself for the upgrade, and still be screwed.  If RE wants to change
the requirements for upgrading, then how bleeping hard would it be to
update either release notes or errata.  It's not so much that I now need
to do multiple upgrades (ok, that IS pretty annoying), it's that I'd
never of known unless I followed this thread.

I've run into this while installing since 4.4, and it's gotten really
bad since the whole 5.3 mess.  Now it's deja vu all over again.

jim