IBM T42 freezes when going to sleep under X11

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Sat Dec 3 20:35:21 GMT 2005

Jacques Garrigue writes:
 > From: George Hartzell <hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com>
 >
 > > Jacques Garrigue writes:
 > >  > From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue at math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
 > >  > > I've got a strange problem with my IBM T42 / Radeon M10 setup.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > When using the 6.0-RELEASE kernel (including GENERIC), I cannot go to
 > >  > > sleep when X11 is running: the machine freezes, display still on. I
 > >  > > tried disabling DRI, but this does not seem to be the problem: I have
 > >  > > no DRM anyway.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > On the other hand, everything works fines with a 6.0-RC1 kernel.
 > >  > > Was there a big change in between, such that I need to change my
 > >  > > configuration?
 > >  >
 > >  > I finally found the cause of my problems: there has been changes in
 > >  > the em driver (Gb ethernet), such that the machine freezes when trying
 > >  > to switch automatically from the X11 VT to the system console, before
 > >  > going to sleep. The interaction is surprising, but clearly the problem
 > >  > disappears when I remove "device em" from the kernel configuration,
 > >  > and it reappears when I do "kldload if_em". Since I'm using only ath
 > >  > (wireless) anyway, this is fine with me...
 > >
 > > I don't seem to have any problem with my T42p using a kernel compiled
 > > on 11/29 11:21
 > >
 > > My copy of if_em.c is:
 > >
 > > /*$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/em/if_em.c,v 1.65.2.8 2005/11/25 14:11:59 glebius Exp $*/
 >
 > The very same version I could reproduce the bug with...
 >
 > I suppose the cause is a complex interaction.
 > For instance it only appears under X11.
 > So part of the reason might be the difference between the radeon M10
 > and the FIRE GL T2. Or the fact I'm simultaneously using
 > ath. Or anything else...
 > My point was just that the direct trigger was a change in em between
 > 6.0-RC1 and 6.0-RELEASE. But if it cannot be reproduced on any other
 > machine, this is going to be difficult to track down.
 > [...]

I've been enabling more of the laptop-y features as I polish off my
upgrade (I'm going from 5.4BETAsomething to 6.0-STABLE, encouraged by
losing my hard drive and being handed the clean slate).

I *have* started getting occasional hangs after a suspend/resume
cycle.  It seems to be related to the mouse.  I get it with both X and
on the console.  I've disabled the psm flag that mega-kicks the device
(0x300000?) and end up with a dead mouse.  Restarting the moused via
/etc/rc.d/moused gets my mouse back, but I'll frequently hand
immediately afterwards.

I've disabled synaptics support and am waiting to see if that makes a
difference, other than disabling my middle mouse button....

g.