cpufreq and changing driver

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Dec 2 10:06:05 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:35, Marco Calviani wrote:
> > It's not present under powerd for the simple fact that to be efficient
> > in term of not being too intrusive (kernel to user data transfers, etc),
> > powerd can only provide a limited number of check per second (at this
> > time, 2 per second).  But the current algorithm present in powerd is
> > not well suited in that case.  You have to wait one demi-second
> > for the processor being put to full speed if the system was idle
> > before.
>
> Are there on the horizon any sort of plans to implement a newer and
> more efficient algorithm to increase the number of transition per
> second? Sorry but i've not understood why linux-cpufreqd is able to
> cope with those without being so intrusive.....

I don't see why you can't run powerd more frequently, I do.. Unless your ACPI
has a problem that means the transition is slow.

I can't imagine that doing 5 (or even 50) syscalls a second is a big CPU load
unless there is a specific problem with sysctls or the cpufreq
infrastructure.

I run powerd like this ->
/usr/sbin/powerd -i 90 -r 30 -a adaptive -b adaptive -n adaptive -p 200

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum