nfs locking (was: Re: OOO 2.0 compiles but doesn't work properly)

Andreas Braml netzwerk at 98eins.de
Thu Dec 1 16:38:47 GMT 2005

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 16:49 schrieb Gerrit Kühn:
> I've got a FreeBSD 6.0 NFS client here, which is connected to
> a FreeBSD 4.10-Server. Both sides are running statd and lockd,
> but processes requesting locks (kdm in the first place after
> booting here) get stuck in the state "lockd". The same setup
> works fine with a FreeBSD 5.4 client. Are there any known
> problems concerning nfs and 6.0, or do I miss anything else?

Here comes one of the dreaded "me too" posts. I'm having the same
problem, I guess: statd and lockd enabled on server and clients,
both 6.0-RELEASE (!). KDM starts, though, but login to KDE
fails, Gnome cannot start completely (panel does not show any
applets), OOo 2.0 freezes, when xkilled, rm -R .OpenOffice2 in
the user directory fails ("Directory not empty").
I know that users at my deployment had problems emtying the Trash
on the KDE desktop but this was right after the upgrade 5.4->6.0
some weeks ago. No severe problems since then, until yesterday
when none of the users was able to login anymore, Gnome broken
as well etc.

Disabling rpc.lockd in rc.conf on the client side made the
symptoms disappear, but i fear the real problem is still there.

Sorry that I can't give a better solution.

Andreas
--
Andreas Braml
Netzwerk für radio 98eins

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.