Reduced java/tomcat performance 6-beta3 -> 6-stable ?

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Thu Dec 1 14:07:22 GMT 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 04:12 , Michael Vince wrote:

> Some apps that use of frequent queries of the system time for
> example MySQL are well known in FreeBSD to be slower then Linux
> because its  more expensive to call compared to Linux, maybe Tomcat
> is also another such app this can also be double the case depending
> on on your jsp and servlet code.

True, but on equal hardware it should perform equally.

> If you are on good hardware, are using 6 and keep your systems time
> updated via ntp you might want to try changing from
> kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast to TSC(-100) and doing a
> benchmark this has already proven to increase performance of MySQL
> by a significantly amount.

I will try this, though it will not solve my original problem (and
the subject is somewhat misleading now, as this seems to be
independent of kernel revisions).

> Also some new experimental low-precision time code has been added
> to current source tree to see how much performance increases can be
> gained, weirdly enough some people have argued against it for I
> guess a wide range of reasons such as they just have crap hardware
> and don't care about performance, don't like the extra maintenance
> of code or just like Red Hat fanatics having an easy way to bad
> mouth FreeBSD performance. I think most people would agree though
> that it has to be done, or have to choose to believe FreeBSD isn't
> about performance among other goals.

I will not join this discussion ;)

> With 6 you can also use the new thr threading library, try your
> libmap.conf to libthr for testing, for example
> [/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/]
> libpthread.so.2         libthr.so.2
> libpthread.so           libthr.so
>
> I been doing some 'ab' testing libthr with Apache2 compiled for
> worker MPM and have some really interesting differences on server
> load, loads of about 40 for pthread and around 5 thr under certain
> tests with ab with the exact same test.

Too bad this causes jdk1.5.0-amd64 to crash...
Application startup times were significantly reduced, but only the
times it actually managed to start without failing. Latest at the 2nd
or 3rd transaction Java coredumps. :(

And as current load testing is done without Apache in between, this
is moot..

/Eirik